Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com is offline

Default Home Depot vs. "Real whatever store"

On Dec 30, 8:29*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
But it's OK with you if mom and pop give up their evenings and
weekends to stay open for you.

If they want to be a profitable business, they need to do what it
takes. By only being open during "business hours" they are FORCING a
lot of people to shop elsewhere even if they don't want to.

There's a big difference between "refusing" to change and being able
to afford staffing for evenings and weekends, along with the benefits
and other costs of doing business.

There's a difference in cost between being open 8AM to 5PM vs. being
open from 10AM to 7PM?

What staffing is there to afford? Mom and Pop work for free.

I'm tired of feeling stupid trying to explain what I want and
being laughed at by contractors and yard help.

That sounds like a personal problem...or perhaps a problem with the
places you shop.

The condescending attitude of the employees at mom & pop stores is
pretty widespread. Of course you know the lingo, can talk shop with
the good ol' boys, and spend lots and lots of money at your favorite
mom & pop, so you've never experienced it. You don't get treated the
same when you come in for a faucet washer or a can of spray paint as
you do if you come in for a truckload of lumber. I'm not asking for a
foot massage, just a little civility. I don't care if you think I'm a
waste of your time, but keep it to yourself. Smile, ring me up, and
say "thank you." Keep the sneering and grumbling to yourself.

Personally, I'd rather deal with contractors who know their business
than the staff at the borgs who were flipping hamburgers or let go
from their accounting job yesterday. I spend more time explaining how
things work to them so they can figure out if they carry what I need.
Many times I find it on my own 'cuz they don't know what they carry or
- worse yet - don't know *why* they carry it.

Me too, but I'm not a contractor or a good ol' boy, so the mom & pop
shops give me little or no consideration. At least the people at HD
and Lowes TRY to help.

It's at the "real" stores where I can toss out a general idea and get
suggestions from them on how to get it done - and I don't feel stupid,
just like I wouldn't expect them to feel stupid if they ask me for
advice related to my line of work.

I don't feel stupid. I'm MADE to feel stupid when I'm told that what I
want to do is stupid. I'm MADE to feel stupid when I get the dirty
looks and aggrivated sneers.