Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Joe Fleming[_2_] Joe Fleming[_2_] is offline

Default Suggested wood for carving mallets?

Mac,

Not sure where you are located. Go for a closed grain, dense wood. I
consider walnut and ash too soft for a carving mallets. I don't care
for red oak either. White oak might be ok. I live in San Diego and I
make them out of sugar gum eucalyptus, They are tough and hard. I
occasionally drive nails with them, but they do get beat up by that.
I would use rock/sugar maple, beech, or birch too. Make sure the head
is flat or concave on the end so the mallet can stand on end.

Joe Fleming
San Diego

On Dec 30, 7:36*am, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In article ,
*"Ed Edelenbos" wrote:

Dumb question here...

When people say "carving mallet", are they (in general) referring to the
standard "T" shaped mallet or one that is turned around one axis? *The "T"
shape would be 2 pieces, a head and a handle and the other would be round
(on one axis) all the way from the handle to the head.

Carving mallets are generally one piece, and not T shaped, two piece

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found athttp://www.ralphandellen.us/rv