Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Safari

ALurker wrote:
B A R R Y wrote in
:

J. Clarke wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
You mac guys might want to check out Camino.
http://caminobrowser.org/

Geez, Internet Explorer just works. I'm _so_ glad I don't have a
Mac.

Are you aware of the latest security threat?

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...ins/200812_oob
.mspx

I don't mind IE. I have to use it at work, and it just works fine
for me. Make sure you've covered yourself as stated above.

I've always subscribed to the "fringe user, off the radar" security
method at home. When all the script kiddies were attacking Outlook
and IE, my lesser known stuff was rarely, if ever, a target.

Reading this on Xnews running on wine for Ubuntu Linux 8.10
(Intrepid
Ibex). Webbrowser is Opera.
Using Eudora for an Email client on WinXP but switching to
Thunderbird for cross platform. Ubuntu is
rapidly becoming my default OS. For a nonemotional analysis of why
there needs to be a Windows
alternative go to http://www.winehq.org/why which gives a balanced
arguement to all this.

Well, except that that "balanced argument" shows that the author
doesn't know Windows all that well.

"Wine makes it possible to take advantage of all the Unix strong
points (stability, flexibility, remote administration) while still
using the Windows applications you depend on."

I'm not going to comment on "stability", which is a hot button for a
lot of people, or "flexibility" which is a matter of opinion, but
Windows has had remote administration for more than a decade now.

"Wine makes it possible to access Windows applications remotely, even
if they are a few thousand miles away."

While this may be true you can do it with out of the box Windows too,
so it is not a "benefit" of WINE.

"Wine makes it economical to use thin clients: simply install Wine on
a Linux server, and voila, you can access these Windows applications
from any X terminal."

I can access Windows applications from Linux boxes without WINE so
again it's hardly a "benefit".

"Wine can also be used to make existing Windows applications available
on the Web by using VNC and its Java client."

That can also be done with Windows without using WINE.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)