Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Yet another 4X6 question

Pilgrim fired this volley in newsilgrim-
:

I have a 4x6 probably 25/30 years old. It has always had a problem

of
throwing the blade[the blade comes off while cutting]. The problem

as
become progressively worse. If you remove the blade and spin the

idler
wheel you can feel a roughness in the ball bearings. When taken

apart
and the bearings rotated against a moving belt they seem fine. My
conclusion is that the bearing seats are not co-axial.

Now the questions:

Does this seem like a reasonable conclusion? If not what might be

the
problem?

If so what can be done about it? I thought about turning down the

shaft
so the bearings don't bind and seating them to the shaft with

Locktite.

Any and all solutions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck P.

You suggested contradictory treatment vs. problem. IF the bearings
are so worn that the shafts are no longer in alignment, replace the
bearings. The shaft doesn't run in the bearing, it's a snug or press
fit in the inner race of the bearing. The shaft does not rotate IN
the inner race, it rotates the race itself, and any wear is between
bearing elements.

Turning down the shaft would worsen the condition.

I have an old, well over-used 4x6. The blade jumps more now than it
did when new, but seldom when the blade is sharp and the feed rate is
correct. Dull blades exacerbate the problem a lot. And despite the
wear on my saw, if the blade is sharp and the feed rate is correct, it
cuts a straight line.

Even on the cheapest Chinalloy saws, all the wear parts are
replacable, except maybe the tire on the driving wheel, and perhaps
the gear-box gears.

LLoyd