Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Battery charger doesn't work when too cold?

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:39:36 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Highjacking this thread, I've noticed my LED torch doesn't seem to
light up when cold - e.g. left in the van overnight, but lights up
after a while in the warm.

Do LED's do this or do I just have a duff torch?

The LEDs don't care about the cold but the battery does. Some fail
completely around or below 0C but recover when warmed back up. Others
also fail and lose all their charge as well. Lithium based battery
technology does best in the cold.

Yes of course. It has bog standard AAA's in it, I wonder what temp they
stop working at?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk