Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiki: Oil

Another one for your additional input...

WD40

Has anyone done a controlled test on its rust prevention qualities
against machine oil?

Machine oil is the standard coating for imported steel tools. WD40 is
simply not used for this. I think the tool industry knows what its
doing - and its not hard to see why they dont pick WD40.

No it isn't hard to see - its price. WD40 is more expensive. Which doesn't
mean it doesn't work.

sure we've all had _some_ sort of "success" with the dreaded
WD-40, but there are much better products for every one of its
claims. It's a sort of "Jack of all trades and master of none".

Thats exactly what it claims to be - a multi purpose product.

quite - with the one exception of water displacement, which is what it
was designed for, and its good at that. The other claimed uses seem to
be more about marketing, especially lubrication, which its truly bad
at.

Compared to what? Bisto? It lubricates.

I suspect the predudice surrounding WD40 is because (a) its American
& (b) its hugely successful.

hardly. Its just a lousy performer and many times the price of decent
products.

Makes you wonder why they sell millions of cans a day doesn't it?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk