Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Price Of Lightbulbs

Huge wrote:

On 2008-12-29, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The ideal solution would be one where you also pay for all the
energy consumed when you buy the lamp, in which case the energy
efficient ones would be clearly cheaper at point of purchase.

How do you take into account such matters as having to replace light
fittings because CFLs won't fit in them and the fact that the output and
lifetime figures are lies?

Or indeed cope with the fact that replacing every lighbulb in Britain
will achieve bugger all? It's yet another green figleaf for people who
are mathematically challenged.

I got faced with one of the stupid buggers today at the Co-Op. I bought
my goods and asked for a carrier bag. "We don't do those anymore, the
Co-Op has decided that it will not take part in the destruction of the
environment." So I asked how I was supposed to take the goods home. "We
can sell you our Eco-bag for £2.50." I examined the bag label, it was
made in China and had been flown half-way around the globe. I asked in
what way this was environmentally friendly. Stupid bugger scratched his
head and said he hadn't thought about that.