Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default DIY Pedestrian Crossing

Rod wrote:

I only used one for the first time a few weeks ago. What I noticed as a
sort of advantage was when a tall vehicle is stopped on (or partly on)
the crossing - which often blocks the view of the red/green light on the
opposite pavement.

Ironic that high lights are there for vehicles - but it would often be
nice to have French-style repeaters at low level for them! (There are
several sets of lights round here which are effectively unviewable by a
driver stopped at the line - and with no repeaters on the other side of
the junction.)

I find that the pedestrian lights are usually aligned so that
they are clearly visibly from the road. This means that,
initially, one glimpses a red light (a signal to "stop"
overriding one to "go") and then, as the full picture becomes
clear, one realises that traffic has a green light.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.