Posted to alt.home.repair
cm[_2_] cm[_2_] is offline

Default Home Depot vs. "Real whatever store"

This is a little off topic. One time I was servicing the staple gun display
at a Las Vegas HD and a customer walked up with a jammed staple gun. An
employee walked up and listened to the customers problem and then took the
gun and pointed it at his face while pulling the trigger to see why it was
jammed. He did this several times against my pleas to stop. Dumb Ass

cm

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Dec 29, 10:43 pm, "benick" wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Our old wooden garage door is not in good shape. Saturday we went and
had
a look at the Clopay doors at the local HD and got a price including
installation. In the course of conversation I said, "Why Home Depot?
You're not the only people who sell Clopay. According to the Clopay Web
site, company name here sells their doors too." HD guy says, "If you
buy from us, they're the people that do our installations anyway."

Today I went to the other store and got a significantly lower price
(including installation) for what is in all material respects the same
door but with a different model number -- and they don't use (because
they don't recommend) the EZ-Set spring system that can be adjusted
with
a power drill.

So two conclusions:

1. Buying from HD -- and the same quite likely applies to Lowe's as
well -- doesn't necessarily mean that you get some dumb-ass
lowest-bidder
installer rather than somebody who knows what (s)he is doing.

2. Buying from HD -- and the same quite likely applies to Lowe's as
well -- doesn't necessarily mean that you get the best price.

Perce

Hi,
Wow! That was GREAT discovery by you. Support local business always.

When the mom and pops are open late and open Saturday afternoon and SUNDAY
for WORKING folks I'll shop there.. They aren't of course which is why
they
are hurting and most of my money goes to HD or EBS (regional semi-bigbox).
I'm not missing work time to get my weekend project materials..They are
refusing to change with the times and are being left behind..The blame is
entirely theirs...One other thing I like is , at HD you can walk around
and
look at stuff and get ideas..The small mom and pops the stuff is all out
in
various buildings and it must be gotten for you , if you know exactly what
to ask for. I'm tired of feeling stupid trying to explain what I want and
being laughed at by contractors and yard help...The mom and pops could
also
carry cheaper tools...Not everybody wants or can afford a 600 dollar
Makiti
tablesaw when a 100 dollar Ryobi will do for most weekend warriors..- Hide
quoted text -

I'm not missing work time to get my weekend project materials.

But it's OK with you if mom and pop give up their evenings and
weekends to stay open for you.

They are refusing to change with the times and are being left
behind

There's a big difference between "refusing" to change and being able
to afford staffing for evenings and weekends, along with the benefits
and other costs of doing business.

I'm tired of feeling stupid trying to explain what I want and
being laughed at by contractors and yard help.

That sounds like a personal problem...or perhaps a problem with the
places you shop.

Personally, I'd rather deal with contractors who know their business
than the staff at the borgs who were flipping hamburgers or let go
from their accounting job yesterday. I spend more time explaining how
things work to them so they can figure out if they carry what I need.
Many times I find it on my own 'cuz they don't know what they carry or
- worse yet - don't know *why* they carry it.

It's at the "real" stores where I can toss out a general idea and get
suggestions from them on how to get it done - and I don't feel stupid,
just like I wouldn't expect them to feel stupid if they ask me for
advice related to my line of work.