Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garden Erection

Thought that might grab your attention.

My garden backs on to another - pretty common in most towns. Mine is
quite small - about 25ft. The house mine backs onto is built on a corner
plot so has a pretty massive garden by the standards round here - roughly
a triangle with a base of perhaps 100ft and 120ft tall. With the apex of
that triangle coinciding with next door's garden.

They've spent a fortune on that house - extra storey on the rear
addition, loft conversion, basement conversion, and a huge conservatory -
not a ready made one but architect designed with lead panels in the
roof... They also have a brick built detached garage - now converted to
what appears to be office use. All this for a family of four - with both
kids away at boarding school/uni. ;-)

So rambling on to the purpose of this post. When the garage was being
converted some years ago they built a 'temporary' abortion at the end of
their garden - up against my and next door's garden fences. Only to store
garden tools etc while the garage work was done, he said. It's made out of
8' x 4' sheets of ply stood on their ends, with similar as a flat roof but
covered with bright green tarpaulin. Which flaps a lot in the wind. Every
so often their 'handyman' who built it bashes away with a hammer to keep
it standing. And today he's been constructing a sort of tapered truss
structure for the roof as of course the tarpaulins would have leaked more
on a flat roof. Making it even higher.

It really spoils what little view I have from the kitchen - far worse now
since there's so little foliage to help 'soften' it.

I can only presume it looks ok from his angle of view - as he spent many
thousands having the rest of his garden landscaped.

A moan from my elderly next door neighbour prompted this post - and I know
other neighbours dislike it as much as we do. Probably four or five
households in total.

So I'm going to write him a letter - far easier to use moderate language.
But before I do are there any legal points I could threaten him with? ;-)

--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.