Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiki: Oil

wrote:
Another one for your additional input...

WD40

Has anyone done a controlled test on its rust prevention qualities against
machine oil?

Machine oil is the standard coating for imported steel tools. WD40 is
simply not used for this. I think the tool industry knows what its
doing - and its not hard to see why they dont pick WD40.

sure we've all had _some_ sort of "success" with the dreaded
WD-40, but there are much better products for every one of its claims.
It's a sort of "Jack of all trades and master of none".

quite - with the one exception of water displacement, which is what it
was designed for, and its good at that. The other claimed uses seem to
be more about marketing, especially lubrication, which its truly bad
at.

I suspect the predudice surrounding WD40 is because (a) its American & (b)
its hugely successful.

hardly. Its just a lousy performer and many times the price of decent
products.

Any junk grade lube works on locks, hinges etc, but when things get
more demanding, wd can really screw things up. I'd quote Arfa Daily's
piece on what and how it damages, but I cant find the address.

Linseed

Is it cotton and raw(?) linseed oil that can spontaneously combust?

Yes, theres already a separate article on tack rags.

thanks everyone!

NT