Posted to uk.d-i-y
Piers Finlayson Piers Finlayson is offline

Default Battery charger doesn't work when too cold?

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 13:16:52 -0800 (PST), ransley wrote:

On Dec 29, 9:41*am, Piers Finlayson wrote:
I cracked open an el cheapo cordless power tool set at the weekend. *I put
an uncharged battery into the charger an after a few seconds the charger
indicated charging was complete. *The battery was still uncharged. *I then
tried with the other battery and got the same problem.

I tried again today, this time using the charger inside the house instead
of an unheated outbuilding. *Initially I got the same problem so rang the
service center up and they said the charger must be faulty and they'd send
a new one.

However, after a few hours - now the charger has come up to room
temperature (from around freezing) - it seems to be working fine and
charging the batteries

Have others experienced this, or does it sound like a fault? *There's no
operating temperature in the instructions, although the charger does say
for indoor use only (and I'd claim my outbuilding is still indoors!).

Thanks,
Piers

Im sure the manual would have informed you it was out of range, mine
does. LiIon will be ruined trying that.

As I said, the manual does not indicate any operating temperature for any
of the equipment.