Posted to uk.d-i-y
Invisible Man[_2_] Invisible Man[_2_] is offline

Default DIY Pedestrian Crossing

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew Gabriel expressed precisely :
Thought some of you might be interested in a toy I made for
a 2½ year old for a Christmas present -- a working model
pedestrian crossing. He had just started getting fascinated
by traffic lights and crossings, and this seemed like too
good an opportunity for an educational toy.

There's a detailed description and pictures at
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/lights/crossing/

I had one similar at that age - traffic light, coloured bulbs and using
a purpose made rotary switch to operate the phases, I spent hours
occupied playing with it.

Nicely executed - will you be releasing the software and circuit?

A brilliant bit of work. Best however to warn the littl'un what a
nightmare puffin crossings are. One near me if you stand ready to cross
the pedestrian bit cancels itself after a while and you never get a
green man. The detectors must be lined up wrongly and do not believe you
are waiting to cross unless you stand about 6 feet away!
The local authority recently changed a puffin to a pelican near us after
at least one fatal accident apparently because some elderly persons are
lost without a red or green man the other side of the road. In busy
areas it is often impossible to see the lower level signals if there is
a crowd waiting to cross.