Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Fastener FAQ?

On Dec 29, 9:07*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message

On Dec 29, 6:39 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:

"dadiOH" wrote in message

MiamiCuse wrote:
Is there a FAQ somewhere that explains the various types of fasteners
and terms? I am browsing around for air staplers and nailers and am
perplexed by the choices...

For example, what is the difference between a "L" nail and a "T" nail?

One with an "L" head is the same as a "T" with one side of the "T"
missing.
______________

Some staplers and nailers that can do up to 2" says the 2" depth is
"FOR SOFT WOOD ONLY". What does it mean by "soft wood".

It means wood that is soft. As opposed to hard. It is referring to
density, not the type of wood.

Is regular
2x4 wood studs soft wood?

Yes

What about pressure treated 2x4 or 2x6? Those are still considered soft
wood right?

Wrong. Where you are, PT is Southern yellow pine. Depending on species -
there are several lumped into "Southern yellow pine" - it can vary from
hard to hard as a rock.
_______________

Is it better to use a staple or nail to attach baseboards? If my
baseboards are to be stained and not painted?

Would you rather look at a small, puttied nail hole or a gash from a
staple?

--

OK thanks point taken!

Finish nailer it is.
MC-
I forgot whether you had a compressor or not.
If not, consider a Paslode gas operated gun.
I was not a big fan of them but recently my buddy got one and now I'm
sold on them.
My crappy 16 gage air driven brad nailer recently failed and I used
his Paslode a bunch.
You can get them on ebay for under $200.
cheers
Bob
No compressor, no hose.

Bob:

I have rented a Paslode finish nailer once from a big box store for
baseboards and was happy with them. *I will keep that in mind.

No I do not have a compressor but I figure I would need one sooner or later.

Now I am reading the pros and cons of clipped head nailer versus round head
nailer. *Everyone seems to say round head is better, but reading Senco's web
site they said:

Q: What are the pros and cons of clipped head and full round head nails?

A: The clipped vs. full round head (FRH) nail question:

1) Clip heads were the original type of collated nail for air tools, and
still remains popular in most parts of the USA.

2) FRH nails came on the scene in the late '80s as a popular product in the
earthquake/hurricane markets (SoCal-Fla). In these markets, discussions
about possible code changes led many builders to change from the clip head
to the FRH nail. Building inspectors started to discriminate against the use
of the clipped head nail. They felt the FRH would help prevent an overdrive
into shear wall (structural sheathing).

3) Today, it seems the FRH nails are the dominant format on the West Coast,
Florida and the South Atlantic regions. Again, FRH is the product of choice
in the earthquake and hurricane prone markets.

4) Independent lab research results yield no significant difference in
performance between both types.

5) FRH nails come in strip or coil format. The FRH strips are collated with
a plastic material; the coils are collated with wire. Clipped head nails are
only available in a strip format and are collated with paper strips and
adhesive. The FRH strips will leave some plastic debris on your job site,
and some plastic chunks embedded into your work surface trapped by the nail
head (flagging). The paper-collated clipped heads are a bit cleaner, with
some flagging, but most of the paper seems to disappear.

6) The clipped head tools have a shorter magazine track because the nails
are right next to each other. The FRH tools feature a longer magazine track,
which protrudes to the rear of the tool body. Some users prefer the shorter
magazines for the maneuverability they offer, and some users like the longer
magazine tools for the exceptional balance.

Our advice: Buy the format that is popular in your market, so it's easy to
buy the nails where and when you need them. Our dealers tend to stock only
the popular format for the specific market you are in, so if you buck the
trend, you might have difficulties finding the nails designed for your tool.

So anyone has experience of one versus the other? *Is a clipped head hard to
pull out if one misfired?

Thanks,

MC

MC-

I read and agree with all their points except the point #4.......

I actually did shear wall tests; some walls built with FRH's, some
with clipped heads & some with finish / casing nails.

Yes, the results differed only slighty BUT (IMO) the cyclic test
protocol we used tended to de-emphasize head behavior and cause nail
shank behavior to dominate.

I have an NR83A FRH nailer, I like it

cheers
Bob