Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Fastener FAQ?

On Dec 29, 6:39*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message

MiamiCuse wrote:
Is there a FAQ somewhere that explains the various types of fasteners
and terms? *I am browsing around for air staplers and nailers and am
perplexed by the choices...

For example, what is the difference between a "L" nail and a "T" nail?

One with an "L" head is the same as a "T" with one side of the "T"
missing.
______________

Some staplers and nailers that can do up to 2" says the 2" depth is
"FOR SOFT WOOD ONLY". *What does it mean by "soft wood".

It means wood that is soft. *As opposed to hard. *It is referring to
density, not the type of wood.

Is regular
2x4 wood studs soft wood?

Yes

What about pressure treated 2x4 or 2x6? *Those are still considered soft
wood right?

Wrong. *Where you are, PT is Southern yellow pine. *Depending on species -
there are several lumped into "Southern yellow pine" - it can vary from
hard to hard as a rock.
_______________

Is it better to use a staple or nail to attach baseboards? *If my
baseboards are to be stained and not painted?

Would you rather look at a small, puttied nail hole or a gash from a
staple?

--

OK thanks point taken!

Finish nailer it is.

MC-

I forgot whether you had a compressor or not.

If not, consider a Paslode gas operated gun.

I was not a big fan of them but recently my buddy got one and now I'm
sold on them.
My crappy 16 gage air driven brad nailer recently failed and I used
his Paslode a bunch.

You can get them on ebay for under $200.

cheers
Bob

No compressor, no hose.