Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default animal noise above first floor of 2-story home

"ap" wrote in message
Hello all,
We live in a 2-story home with an attic here in Georgia. Typically,
this time of year, we used to hear noises coming from the attic due to
rats/squirrels getting in the openings.

Nowadays, though, I'm also hearing noises coming from above the first
floor. It seems like some animals have gotten in above the first
floor.

My question is: how can they get in? and are there gaps/openings for
them to get in ? What is in between floors?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I just need to be knowledgeable on
the house. Looking at it from the outside, it's not obvious.

Any links to good house diagrams diagrams appreciated...

And is there a solution to preventing this?

*There are plenty of openings between levels due to plumbing pipes and
heating ducts passing through floors and walls. Your plumbing vent stack
probably goes through the attic and may not be sealed around it. As others
have said, rodents don't require much clearance to get in. Your best bet is
to get an exterminator and ask him for suggestions on preventative measures.
Get rid of them soon as they tend to chew on wiring and such which can cause
more headaches not to mention the mess and odor that they leave behind. I
would not suggest that you put some poison out as you don't want a rotting
corpse in your ceiling.