Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ed Edelenbos Ed Edelenbos is offline

Default Suggested wood for carving mallets?

Dumb question here...

When people say "carving mallet", are they (in general) referring to the
standard "T" shaped mallet or one that is turned around one axis? The "T"
shape would be 2 pieces, a head and a handle and the other would be round
(on one axis) all the way from the handle to the head.

Ed

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
I'm surprised that no one has suggested Elm, particularly Rock Elm for
this mallet. It's hard, is tough to split and of moderate weight.
There's still plenty of American Elm around here, trouble is, it dies when
the trunk gets to about 10" diameter.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

mac davis wrote:
A friend asked me to do 2 carving mallets for him, and left full size
plans.

Not being a carver, I have no idea what woods are preferred or avoided?

He left me some fairly green walnut branch wood, but I'm guessing that
for his
mallets I'd want to use something drier, maybe oak or something?

Any suggestions, ideas, flames, etc. welcome as usual..

Feliz Navidad..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing