Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
spaco spaco is offline

Default Suggested wood for carving mallets?

I'm surprised that no one has suggested Elm, particularly Rock Elm for
this mallet. It's hard, is tough to split and of moderate weight.
There's still plenty of American Elm around here, trouble is, it dies
when the trunk gets to about 10" diameter.

Pete Stanaitis

mac davis wrote:
A friend asked me to do 2 carving mallets for him, and left full size plans.

Not being a carver, I have no idea what woods are preferred or avoided?

He left me some fairly green walnut branch wood, but I'm guessing that for his
mallets I'd want to use something drier, maybe oak or something?

Any suggestions, ideas, flames, etc. welcome as usual..

Feliz Navidad..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing