Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default OT - Taxpayer ROI

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 12:37:36 -0800, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Now, I'm trying to turn some fins into a replacement cylinder for a Cox
15. I basically made myself a narrow little cutoff tool, which started
by chattering a little bit, then rapidly evolved to chattering a lot,
then bound up, wrenching the cylinder blank out of the chuck and
breaking the tool.

Since this is a _metalworking_ group, do you have any suggestions about
how I may do thing _metalworking_ task?

Lots of good replies and suggestions.

One thing that no one has yet suggestd is an upside down cutoff
tool mojunted on the rear. On many of the lighter lathes this
has proven to be much better than the standard front mounted
holder. There are several casting kits available or make your
own. I made one for my Emco.
See
http://mcduffee-associates.us/machining/rearcoth.htm