Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Casting White gold question

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 21:29:14 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:
Greetings Casters,
I have used the lost wax process to cast silver and yellow gold but
never white gold. Now my wife would like a white gold ring. I can pay
a local jeweler to do the casting but since I have a centrifugal
casting machine and the related equipment I would rather do it myself.
Should my experience with silver and yellow gold be enough?
Thanks,
Eric

Get thee to one of the Yahoo "castinghobby" groups . I think there is one
oriented towards what you're doing . I'm into lost foam aluminum castings
right now myself ...
But from my limited (very !) casting , it appears you have the experience
and equipment , worst that can happen is you'll get to melt it down and
try again ...
--
Snag
every answer

Having refined gold for many years, the worst thing that can happen is that
the alloy is ruined in melting, yielding castings with porosity. An
oxidizing flame should be avoided.

Casting white gold when it is alloyed with nickel can be difficult, so
careful heating is in order. If the gold is not new, you risk including
silver with the alloy, which will not be in your best interest. Make
certain that no solder is included in the melt if at all possible. That can
be a source of silver.

For those that think white gold is white because it contains silver-----that
is not the case. Gold alloyed with silver yields green gold, not white.
White gold is an alloy of gold and either nickel or palladium. Nickel is
most common.

Harold

Greetings Harold,
Thanks for the reply and the advice. I will be using white gold
casting grain. So it will be new. I know about using old stuff and
porosity.
Snag,
I will check the yahoo groups, thanks. Lost foam casting has
interested me for a while. Are you doing this at home? Having much
success? I have looked into having some stuff cast using lost foam
because of the potential for good surface finish on the parts. Is this
your experience?
Cheers,
Eric