Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default #OT# More BS on oil supplies

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

If I had certainty that it would pay down debt, we could consider it.
It
is a regressive
tax as I mentioned to Ed.

Not really. When you are in a pool and the driver or passenger has to
work extra hours it
falls apart. When is the last time you car pooled? Been about 30 years
for me.

It's been a while for me too Wes but when that happened the others played
chess in the break room.

NG isn't going to happen? Why?

It isn't any better than diesel.
The hot ticket for long haul big rigs is gas turbines. Ford or GM came out
with one years back but it was expensive up front and people were leary of
technology more so than today. The damned things burn about anything.

I think the idea was to divert NG consumption from electric power plants to heavy truck.
Then use wind to balance off the loss in capacity. Pickens never mentioned using EV's as
a load sink to create a sorta base load capacity but he should have. Maybe that was too
much to spoon feed people.

Rail is way more efficent unless you think JIT is the holy grail.

Capacity is a problem with rail. You also have to get goods to and from a
rail head.
Our highway system is an excellent choice for anything perishable like food.
There isn't a silver bullet.

No there isn't. I worked for a place that brought in heavy loads of material. The rail
road often lost in in a JIT enviroment. We have GPS and other technology to improve the
sitiuation.

Electric vehicles, networks and using cars that are charging as a load
sink that can be
dropped to keep traditional baseline running w/o firing up NG generation
would be a piece
of the puzzle.

Don't forget though that many voters feel the price of gas acutely. I'd
hate to have my
name on that one if I was a member of the house or senator up for
re-election.

Yeah, bull**** Republican values will finally have to align with reality.
There isn't anything conservative about today's Republican party.
It's time you realized that we elect people to office at the national
level
to make hard choices.

Oh so the Obama administration is going to trim the UAW? I'm starting to
laugh.

Sort of. The Treasury is going to provide the debtor in possesion financing
GM needs to file for bankruptcy.
That won't eliminate the UAW but the exsting contracts will be null and
void.

That is going to have to happen. I feel sorry for those affected but economic reality
can't be avoided forever.

The same is true with GM's retiree benefit program. It'll just be gone as
far as GM is concerned.
Still laughing?

No. I'm not a GM worker. I've supported the greedy beast as an employee of a couple
suppliers.

What is actually going to happen is that Cerberus is going to end up with
GMAC, GM and Chrysler are going to become one company and you and I are
either going to provide loan gaurantees or loans to make that happen through
the auspices of a shrink wrapped bankruptcy filing.
Remember you heard it here first.
LOL

You may be right. Too big to fail. Where have I heard that?

And to throw you a bone, when Republicans try to play as Democrats they
are going to loose
every time.

What we are facing isn't going to involve a partisan solution.
Anyone from either party that plays things that way will end up out of
office in short order.
Should the Toyota Republicans not get with the program, their constituents
will toss them out on their ass so fast they won't know what happened.
That's my feeling anyway. Everyone is well and truly tired of this crappy
approach to governing.

The 'Toyota' legislators are not going to vote against their constituants interests. Most
of them are in the south where wages are not as high as many blue states. Not a lot of
love for the UAW down there.

Don't pull the plug on them when they do so or we will continue to have
what
we do and don't put them in office unless you are willing to trust them
with
that responsibility.. They aren't any better than their constituents which
is why George W. Bush is such an embarassment.

You'll know things are on the right track when you write your Congressman
say that their vote cost you something, but thanks, the good of the
country
was well served, let's not have this happen again.

I've written my Dems a few times. They are very good at phrasing bend
over in a reply.

Why would you take that sitting down?
Keep writing and here's a tip. Hand write your letters.
You would be surprised at the result.

I have Levin, Carl Levin. There isn't a chance I could send him a message he would take
notice of unless it was flying fast, made of dense material with a good cD and aimed at
his head.

The only good Dem, John Dingle got forced out of his chairmanship on his energy committee.

Would you say that gas at 4 dollars really isn't a budget killer? You are
speaking from
the perspective of someone that doesn't think 30K is a good wage in these
times. (I think
30K would suck, I love my job, I love my job...)

I think your perspective is out of line with the main stream.

Well, I'm getting thirty one miles to the gallon on the freeway Wes so you
are probably right.
I think everyone ought to get at least that.

You get that with a vette? Sweet!

Obama hasn't done anything. He can't. He sticks to 'one President at at
a time'. If I
was him, I'd use that tactic. I *hope* GWB and Obama are talking though.

I'd be surprised if there weren't cooperation but only to a point.
Bush IS still our President and that has to be respected. Obama turning into
mister big britches wouldn't go over well at all and I think he's conducting
himself well enough.

I think Obama is playing it well. I don't lean his way but he seems to be doing the
political thing with a lot of good judgement giving what he has to balance.

I bet Obama stays in Afganistan. I'm a strong believer in self defense be
it at a
national or personal level. I think we get rolled on defending the world.

We'll stay for a while and grow our force there. I don't see how the result
can be especially good but I don't think Obama will continue to push a bad
hand beyond reason. We'll see.

I'll stand back and watch. Dropping rummy and the surge worked in Iraq.

Considering how Nato has supported us, I'm ready to call the troops back
from all of
Europe.

I'd do the opposite. We need to get them commited to the fight.
Someone will need to define just exactly what the fight is first but the
world is pretty turned off to Bush right now.
Hopefully, the incoming administration will be able to take advantage of
whatever good will the change in leaders generates.
From all appearances, that could be considerable.

I really don't think the EU has the back bone. Great Britain excepted.

I'd love to sit in when Hillary lays down the law.

I also don't believe in good will. You know we don't have friends, we have nations with
compatible interests.

You have a good night.

Never thought of a Vette as an encono car I could see my self driving one of those!

Wes