Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oil

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 21:17:39 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

WD40 is not recommended as a lubricant.

Not by whom? It clearly is a lubricant. I've used it on hinges, locks,
fans, tools, padlocks and all sorts of other things.

In my experience a squeaky door "lubricated" with WD40 will become a
squeaky door again. One lubricated with a proper oil doesn't.

I've got padlocks on sheds & gates 20+ years old, given a squirt of WD40
annually and none have gummed up or gone sticky - they all work
perfectly.

That's 'casue you keep adding back the volatiles that have evaporated. It
does leave a residue over time from a thick gum to a dry varnish like
layer depending on the enviroment. The "wetter gum" stages are sticky and
any muck floating about will get stuck. When the kit is operated/used this
muck then gets drawn into the mechanisium and increases the rate of wear.
This probably isn't an issue for a shed padlock but for something in
constant use...

--
Cheers
Dave.