Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oil

wrote:
Another one for your additional input...

SNIP

===WD40===
WD stands for 'water displacer.' Water displacers are of very limited
use in DIY today, primarily used to reduce rusting of tools in damp
storage. Machine oil is the product of choice for this.

Could someone explain the apparent witch hunt of WD40 around here? IMO its
an excellent product.

Has anyone done a controlled test on its rust prevention qualities against
machine oil?

WD40 also acts as a penetrating oil, though there are cheaper and in
some people's opinion better brands out there, such as plusgas.

Granted its not a specific penetrating oil, but as a 'one stop' multi
purpose product its pretty good at many things.

WD40 is not recommended as a lubricant.

Not by whom? It clearly is a lubricant. I've used it on hinges, locks,
fans, tools, padlocks and all sorts of other things.

SNIP

Many appliances have been ruined by the indiscriminate application of
WD40.

Like what? Do we have any evidence? Why would it harm anything? I've got
padlocks on sheds & gates 20+ years old, given a squirt of WD40 annually and
none have gummed up or gone sticky - they all work perfectly.

It is not a cure-all and there are common products and materials to which
it should not be applied.

Again, what shouldn't it be applied to? I've never damaged anything with
it.

We certainly shouldn't be putting opinions like this on the Wiki unless they
have some scientific evidence.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk