Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Fastener FAQ?

On Dec 29, 10:49 am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
Is there a FAQ somewhere that explains the various types of fasteners and
terms? I am browsing around for air staplers and nailers and am perplexed
by the choices...

For example, what is the difference between a "L" nail and a "T" nail?

Some of the nailers or staplers says they can shot say so many shots per
second. I wonder when this is applicable? I would assume most carpentry
usage is one nail at a time somewhat precise where you want it? When will
you shoot so many nails or staples a second? Is this for attaching oil
painting on portrait frames?

Some staplers and nailers that can do up to 2" says the 2" depth is "FOR
SOFT WOOD ONLY". What does it mean by "soft wood". Is regular 2x4 wood
studs soft wood? I would assume so. What about pressure treated 2x4 or
2x6? Those are still considered soft wood right? I assume soft wood in
this context mean not hard wood, not oak or cherry - not to be used to nail
hard wood flooring or baseboard? or shallower depths is ok for hardwood?

Is it better to use a staple or nail to attach baseboards? If my baseboards
are to be stained and not painted?

I assume there are websites with these answers already but I searched and
couldn't find any relevant ones.

First, I don't know of any specific FAQ. Most major manufacturers
have good overviews of products and what each is intended for. I'd
recommend looking at Bostitch, Senco, Hitachi, Paslode, etc., for
input.

I have to admit I've don't recall ever seeing "L" or "T" in a
pneumatic nail so if have a link to specifics, would go look and see
what it might be.

"Soft" in the context of a stapler means physically soft, not the
distinction of hard/soft as deciduous/evergreen as is used for
categorizing lumber. Obviously, it's pretty doggone tough to expect
to fully seat a 2" or longer staple in a solid piece of dry oak
whereas the same tool could likely drive and sink the same fastener in
a fresh tubafor.

As for the specific application of baseboard, if you're thinking of
stain- as opposed to paint-grade, you don't want a stapler at all to
have to try to finish over the crown. There you would want a finish
nailer and an equivalent nail size to what you would use if driving by
hand.

There's rarely any need for rapid-fire; the uses would mostly be for
things like upholstery or similar tacking jobs, not finish carpentry
or cabinetry. Roofing nailers are often multi-/contact-trigger
optional for similar reasons. Some framers have the capability but I
would recommend against them for the average a.h.r reader/homeowner/
diy-er as they can be quite dangerous if inexperienced and rarely is
the speed of the professional framer warranted other than for the pro
making a living that way.

HTH, more detail required, repost w/ specific questions.