Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Miller[_2_] John Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Sanford & Sons Junk Yard

--
J Miller
. 3.70...
Actually, Sponenburgh & Sons.

Recently, a friend traded a "good, but slightly worn" Bogen 3300
tripod with an Italian pistol-grip pan&tilt head to me in return for
some minor machine work.

Poor thing: It looked like it had been dropped off the bed of a semi
with a broadcast-sized camera attached. On leg wouldn't extend any
more; the elevation crank was snapped off; the entire mounting shoe
and screw assembly was snapped right off the aluminum casting ....

It was also too good to scrap. I'd just gotten my son a new mid-range
digital camera, so we decided to make a Saturday afternoon project of
it.

Un-dimpled the dented leg, so the telescoping sections would slide.
Fabricated a new crank, complete.
Fabricated a new mount shoe with a cone-lock arrangement, and surfaced
the old casting to accept it.

Hell... it's better than any tripod he could actually afford to buy!

Pix at http://www.pyrobin.com/files/tripod%...ures%20006.jpg
and http://www.pyrobin.com/files/tripod%...ures%20004.jpg

LLoyd

A good definition for a work-a-holic G.

I didn't realize that snow gets moldy and turns green.

John M