Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Battery charger doesn't work when too cold?

In article ,
Piers Finlayson wrote:
I cracked open an el cheapo cordless power tool set at the weekend. I
put an uncharged battery into the charger an after a few seconds the
charger indicated charging was complete. The battery was still
uncharged. I then tried with the other battery and got the same problem.

I tried again today, this time using the charger inside the house
instead of an unheated outbuilding. Initially I got the same problem so
rang the service center up and they said the charger must be faulty and
they'd send a new one.

However, after a few hours - now the charger has come up to room
temperature (from around freezing) - it seems to be working fine and
charging the batteries

Have others experienced this, or does it sound like a fault? There's no
operating temperature in the instructions, although the charger does say
for indoor use only (and I'd claim my outbuilding is still indoors!).

Typical Ni-Cad behaviour. Useless at low temperatures. Think Li-Ion may be
ok.

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.