Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default ACQ lumber experience

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:45:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

-snip-
That seems odd. Are there different types of pressure treated wood? Some
years ago we had a raised bed built surrounding a patio using pressure
treated 6x6's laid directly on the ground, stacked to create the depth,
then filled with soil and planted. In 8 years of living there we never had
any deterioration. The only change was a darkening of the wood.

Sure are. Even 20 yrs ago there was 'ok' PT and 'PT that wouldn't
die'. I don't remember the spec differences, but I remmeber checking
labels.

I don't remember when the new style PT started- 6-8yrs ago?- but it is
apparently inferior to all the old stuff. [unless your goal is to eat
hardware, which the new stuff does]

Jim