Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com is offline

Default Do Ceramic Disc Caps Leak?

wrote:

I opened up a used Enermax EG351P-V computer power supply to inspect
before installing in a system. All the electrolytics looked good and
I believe the power supply is working fine (I've included no-load test
results). But near one of the heatsinks I found this:

http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=powerkd2.jpg

A blue epoxy dipped disc capacitor was leaning up against one of two
standing power resistors that it is installed between. I pried it off
of the smaller resistor and you can kind of see where it was attached
(the clean spot on the smaller resistor). I chipped off some of the
brown gunk and it is very similar looking to other hot melt glue used
in the PS to glue down the larger electrolytics, but also appeared a
bit different, dirtier perhaps (maybe burnt?). You can also see what
could be a smear of this same brown glue on the larger resistor.

So, is it possible that the disc capacitor was purposefully hot glued
to a power resistor?

That's just glue, and some companies use a yellow kind that turns
brown and powdery in just a few months of use.