Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET is offline

Default HF Long Nosed Die Grinder

OldJag wrote:
If this is the electric HF long nose grinder, I noticed the same
issue. I've got a couple of hours use on mine now and it seems to run
a bit cooler. Hasn't seized up yet, so I guess it's okay.
.................................................. .......

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 10:52:28 -0500, Wes wrote:
If it has speed control start out on lowest speed until it hits 100F or so and stop it to
cool. Repeat. When it stays below 100F on lowest speed, bump up speed and repeat process
until you can make it to full speed.

If all fails it is under warranty

Wes

.................................................. .......

The 90 day warranty gave me the freedom to see if this would self
correct as both of you said, or self destruct, the latter of which
would make a return to Harbor Freight much easier. I decided to run
it for 15-30 minute sessions once a day. I started this before I got
Wes's suggestion to use a speed control, so I've been running it
unloaded at full speed. With this program, the temp has come down to
what I'd consider normal, which was similar to Oldjag's experience
with his. To recap - the first time I ran the die grinder, the end
got too hot to handle within 1 minute of turning it on. By running it
for increasing lengths of time without load, it began to work itself
in and now is at a reasonable temperature. I'll continue to run it
for a few more long periods to be sure it won't have problems, but it
looks like running it will allow it to self correct.

RWL