Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Terraced House design (lower kitchen - sorry - been covered before)

John wrote:
Sorry - but I can't remember the opinions given to the point about
most terraced houses having a step down into the kitchen and the back
bedroom. Would anyone care to refresh my memory as I mentioned the
fact to someone and they are now seeking an answer to this never
before noticed fact.

Very, very common around here in turn of the century terraced houses. Whole
streets of them. I'd go along with 'most'.

The bedroom above has the same step down and is usually converted into a
bathroom. Prolly wouldn't be allowed now as its off a bedroom and it
certainly isn't convenient if a guest in the other bedroom wants the loo in
the middle of the night.

My first ever house in Essex was the same.

Many terraced houses in Chatham & Strood are built on very steep slopes and
have 2 or even 3 steps down. One house I worked in recently only has a hall
& one room downstairs due to the extreem slope, rest of the house is up one
flight of stairs.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk