Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plastic electrical boxes.

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
I know that all pros hate those plastic electrical boxes, but I' have
been using them anyway. Having put up drywall, I have just for the
first time realized that the notches that mark how far out the new-
work box should stick out are 3/8". What gives? Isn't 1/2" drywal
standard? Now all of my boxes are 1/8" too deep.

*It takes a little practice to bring out the box a little extra before
nailing to get it just right. I sometimes carry a small piece of drywall
with me and hold it up against the stud while nailing the box. For kitchens
and bathrooms I use the adjustable boxes because I rarely know what the
final finish depth will be.

Unfortunately the plastic boxes are bigger than the metal and as a result
there is not a lot of drywall for the ears to rest on. A common
electrician's trick is to wrap a piece of wire around the screw behind the
ears to make up the gap difference. Sometimes I use 6/32 nuts for the boxes
that are set back a lot more.