Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Welding on rail road spikes

Railroad spikes, even the "HC" (high carbon, about 0.35%) spikes, aren't
very high in carbon, so they shouldn't be a problem to weld. You
didn't say what the problem is; --- can't keep arc lit? Metal puddles
on surface?
etc, etc, etc.

If the spikes are rusty, you could have all sorts of problems. Do you
have trouble welding other things or is it just these spikes? Try
grinding the spike down to shiny metal before trying to weld.

What rod are you using? Try some 6013.

the "Bensmatic oxy torch": Does it use acetylene or propane or mapp
gas or what with the oxygen? If Mapp or propane, you can't really weld
with it.

With either heat source, be sure to wait until you have a puddle before
moving on.

Pete Stanaitis

redalpha wrote:
I am just a weekend welder and I can not seem to make my welds stick
to these spikes. I have a low end stick welder unit I bough for 150.00
from Northern Tool. Any ideas?

Also I have a "Bensomatic" oxy torch for heating rebar to bend and
form and Was thinking about using it to try to gas weld these
spikes... would that be better?

Thanks for the help