Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Welding on rail road spikes

redalpha wrote:
I am just a weekend welder and I can not seem to make my welds stick
to these spikes. I have a low end stick welder unit I bough for 150.00
from Northern Tool. Any ideas?

Also I have a "Bensomatic" oxy torch for heating rebar to bend and
form and Was thinking about using it to try to gas weld these
spikes... would that be better?

Thanks for the help

I know this isn't what you want to hear , but you need a real welder .
Lincoln 225 amp buzzboxes usually sell used for a reasonable price
(depending on locale) and will do most anything a hobby welder needs done .
I paid way less than 150 bucks for mine .
--
Snag
every answer