Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Concrete floor - screeding - final brain check

Tim S wrote:

Hi again,

Quick recap - got to make up a floor with about 25-35mm screed. The current
surface is solid, but it's a bit of a "farmer's concrete" special, meaning
it was made with small round pebbles and in a few patches the pebbles are
not well attached. ie they're attached but it doesn't take much to loosen
them.

I suspect if we go digging the less well attached pebbles out we'll get to
earth fairly quickly. No vapour barrier either. I should add, that the
floor's been fine under quarry tiles so I don't see any need to go
replacing it - I just want to make sure the screed gets a good bond.

How does this sound:

1) Soak the floor in a stabiliser.

2) Prime the floor with SBR/cement slurry

3) Screed with 4:1 sand/cement + SBR

4) Paint damp proof membrane on top.

5) Finish (ceramic tile or engineered wood depending on location)

?

=====

What would be good for 1): Liquid SBR? I think PVA will bite the dust due to
the fact there's no vapour barrier.

Also, any good recommendations of a paint on DPC membrane?

Many thanks

Tim

I realise you dont want to be bothered, but now is your opportunity to
dig it up and put insulation down that will save you n times the cost
of doing the job. Where n is an unknown number that someone else might
have more idea about.

NT