Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help wiring an AC motor

Graeme wrote:

Thanks Mike - I can see that diagram perfectly, and I have a standard
DPDT toggle switch, but just cannot get the wiring right. Looking at
the bottom of the switch, there are six terminals :

-------
| 1 2 |
| |
| 3 4 |
| |
| 5 6 |
-------

I'm having a real brain dead day. Transformer (2) above goes to
terminal 3 or 4 on the switch? 3 or 4 is also hard wired to (B)?

(C) and (D) are connected to terminals 2 and 6?

Thank you!

On your switch, connect 1 to 6 and connect 2 to 5. You now have
effectively a 4 switch which will swap over one (either) pair of
motor wires.

Beware with this arrangement of the possiblity of reversing polarity
while motor is still spinning.

NT