Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UK equivalent to Rube Goldberg?

SJP wrote:
"terry" wrote in message
Must be dimming memory???????????? But can anybody help out please.

Was/is Rube Goldberg (that's in the USA, so called, version of
English!) the equivalent of the original UK Heath Robinson?

Also vaguely remember some improbable machines by Emmett? In the
immediate post WWII years. Including one at the Festival of Britain
(When was that; 1953?) same year as the coronation of Elizabeth II?

Also various other terms/descriptions for ingenious ways of fixing
(usually temporarily) and/or keeping something mechanically moving or
operating. e.g. "String and baling wire", 'On a wing and prayer", or
in earlier times "A ha'porth of tar an a couple of rope lashings".

I always liked the WD40 & Duck Tape story.

While apologising for being OT it is, sort of, related to 'Do It
Yourself', is it not?

Or, as here in Canada, we would utter a short interrogatory "Eh?".
Note the question mark! Meaning "Do you not agree"!

Anyway still learning from this and other useful forums about how to
repair one's household surroundings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg

Interesting, as is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heath_Robinson

--