Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Heat your home with coal

Nate Nagel wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
while you're at it, search for auto fatalities. Gonna quit driving also?

It's a matter of practical, safer alternatives. There are few
alternatives to autos, unless you live in a big city, but there are
plenty of safer alternatives to nat gas appliances / heating.

"safer" is debatable, and none of them work as well. You could make a
case for a ground loop heat pump for heating if you live somewhere where
that would be practical, but nothing beats a gas water heater or stove.

It's a "ground source" or "geothermal" heat pump, and they are practical
pretty much everywhere. There are several different ground loop
configurations (vertical, horizontal, trenched coil) that fit most any
site. They can readily do hot water as well. In areas of relatively
moderate temperatures, an air source heat pump is more economical.

A key thing to consider here is that high efficiency electric powered
HVAC is somewhat "future proof", and "RE friendly" as both gas and oil
are only going to get more costly, while most renewable sources like
solar PV, wind, hydro, tidal, etc. are electric sources that can power
the high efficiency heat pump.

As for the stove, gas being better only applies to cooktop burners,
electric ovens are best. On the cooktop end, it seems that induction
"burners" are becoming more popular, and they compete well with gas
burners, and are once again an electric powered source.

Right now I have a dual fuel stove, electric ovens and LP gas burners up
top. I have a combo CO/Gas detector in the vicinity, so should there be
a leak I should have enough warning to evacuate.