Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Heat your home with coal

On Dec 27, 10:52*am, "Pete C." wrote:
George wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Van Chocstraw wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
"Coals vary in quality, but on average, a ton of coal contains about as much
potential heat as 146 gallons of heating oil or 20,000 cubic feet of natural
gas, according to the Energy Information Administration. A ton of
anthracite, a particularly high grade of coal, can cost as little as $120
near mines in Pennsylvania. The equivalent amount of heating oil would cost
roughly $380, based on the most recent prices in the state - and over $470
using prices from December 2007. An equivalent amount of natural gas would
cost about $480 at current prices. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/27/bu..._r=1&pagewante...

I'll wait for the coal gasification. Coal gas is a much better fuel.
In the 1800's and early 1900's some eastern towns had public coal gas
piped right to their houses. I don't know *why they stopped it other
than the occasional explosion. Today's technology would reduce the
safety issues.

Considering that they still can't make natural gas service safe, I
certainly wouldn't want to consider yet another killer fuel piped into
unsuspecting people's homes. Seems I've seen a report of a residential
gas explosion with fatalities every few days lately.

Explosions from natural gas have to rank somewhere near plane crashes.
In other words not that frequently.

s.

Pete-

Just do a search on CNN.com to see all the examples in the last few months

so? a few incidents reported on the news does carry much weight

I would suggest that you refrain from drawing statistical relevance
from TV news reports. The TV news (well, all TV) exists to sell ad
time. Exciting news makes people watch

The data is a little hard to dig up (CDC / OSHA) but..........

my best efforts put ALL gas explosion deaths (industrial,
residential; NG, propane, industrial process gases) in the about 150
to 200 per year range in the US. Residential are a fraction of
those......

to put it in perspective there about 80 lightning deaths per year in
the US.

CO deaths (non-fire, non-explosion) from faulty NG heaters kills
another 28 per year, propane heaters (CO again) a like number.

NG is lighter than air & leaks dissipate, it ain't easy to generate
explosive concentrations (possible but not easy)

Fear not natural gas but poor eating habits, lack of exercise,
smoking, cars, ladders, bodies of water & one's crazy
associates....watch out. Faulty DNA as well......

Don't worry, be happy.

As Ransley mentioned, some old flex lines (uncoated copper, I think)
are problematic but switching to SS or coated lines greatly reduced
that small risk.

cheers
Bob