Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Heat your home with coal

Pete C. wrote:
Van Chocstraw wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
"Coals vary in quality, but on average, a ton of coal contains about as much
potential heat as 146 gallons of heating oil or 20,000 cubic feet of natural
gas, according to the Energy Information Administration. A ton of
anthracite, a particularly high grade of coal, can cost as little as $120
near mines in Pennsylvania. The equivalent amount of heating oil would cost
roughly $380, based on the most recent prices in the state - and over $470
using prices from December 2007. An equivalent amount of natural gas would
cost about $480 at current prices. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/27/bu...pagewanted=all

I'll wait for the coal gasification. Coal gas is a much better fuel.
In the 1800's and early 1900's some eastern towns had public coal gas
piped right to their houses. I don't know why they stopped it other
than the occasional explosion. Today's technology would reduce the
safety issues.

Considering that they still can't make natural gas service safe, I
certainly wouldn't want to consider yet another killer fuel piped into
unsuspecting people's homes. Seems I've seen a report of a residential
gas explosion with fatalities every few days lately.

Explosions from natural gas have to rank somewhere near plane crashes.
In other words not that frequently.