Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default Kinds of oil

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 09:31:10 +0000,
(D.M. Procida) wrote:

Bruce wrote:

[...] a light machine oil. I recommend a turbine oil like
Castrol OC-11 because it will not become gummy as it ages.
[...] You want somthing about 32 cs in viscosity with no additives.

Can I go into shop and ask for "turbine oil"? What does "32 cs" mean?
I've never heard viscosity expressed like that before.

Does sewing machine oil count as "light machine oil"?

"32 cs" is probably 32 centistokes, a centistoke being a measure of
kinematic viscosity (whatever that might be).

It would be helpful if you stated what you need the oil for. As I'm
not psychic, I cannot even guess, but a reasonable match to "light
machine oil" could be good old 3-in-1.

It's for a light machine, of course.

Actually it's for the motor and sleeve bearings of an old reel-to-reel
tape recorder.

Assuming that the bearings do need to be oiled, you'd be better off
for that purpose with clock oil, which you can usually get from
modelshops.

--
Frank Erskine