Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.sewing
Pogonip[_2_] Pogonip[_2_] is offline

Default Grommets as drain holes in canvas awning?

Bob F wrote:
"Square Peg" wrote in message
My first thought was to install a row of 3-5 small grommets about
6-12" from the end of the awning. I wouldn't think a very big hole
would be needed. I'm not sure how to install them. Aren't they usually
snapped together by a tool that needs access to both sides and a solid
base?

How about just re-mounting it so that one end is a little lower than the other.
It'll drain to that end.

That would be true if the awning didn't sag under the water, which is
what usually happens. Also, it usually sags in the middle, not at the
sides, and putting drain holes in the middle defeats much of the purpose
of the awning. When I had fabric covered gazebos in my yard, I often
had to go out and use a broom to push up the fabric so that the water
(which is very heavy!) would run off the ends. I was ultimately
defeated by four feet of snow, which collapsed both gazebo roofs and
bent the metal structures. My new gazebo is cedar.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com