Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Gas fireplace valve stuck.

On Dec 24, 10:48*am, "Joe J." wrote:
The house we just purchased has a gas fireplace built into the wall. *The
gas company came out and restarted service and lit all the appliances,
including the fireplace pilot. *It was still hot out and that pilot was
throwing off a good amount of heat so I used the wall shut-off valve to turn
it off. *That was before I realized there was an off-valve underneath the
fireplace. *The wall shutoff is a 2 inch circular mount into the wall and
the center contains the valve stem control which requires a key that looks
like an old roller skate key. *Anyway, I'm trying to turn on the gas and
instead of the pin turning, the entire mount has broken free from the wall
and everything is rotating but I don't think the gas is being turned on
because I can't light the pilot. *I tried putting a channel locks on the
outer mount and tried turning the valve stem but it won't budge.

I was thinking of buying some liquid wrench and spraying that on the valve.
Or, am I going to have to break open the wall and replace the valve? *The
house is only 2 years old so I don't think corrosion would be a factor???

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

Dont mess with what you dont know about, find a gas shutoff before the
bad valve in the basement, or call someone. I hope you have tools
ready to shut gas off at the meter and know how to do it. Do you have
a home warranty. It may be a bad install missed by the inspector and
free to get it fixed with their help, call your city its free.