Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Suggested wood for carving mallets?

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 14:57:03 -0500, Gerald Ross wrote:

I have several. Walnut works but may be a little soft. Wild Cherry is
also too soft. Persimmon works great, but doesn't finish up as pretty.
The one-piece mallets are easy and fun to turn. Make several in
whatever woods you have around and let your friend try them and decide .

Thanks, Gerald...
As you know, my wood choices are very limited here..

I did just remember as I was reading your post that I have some kiln dried
walnut..
I did a set of goblets a few years ago and the client gave me a bunch of walnut
4x4 cutoffs to work with.. That might be an ok choice since it's dry and pretty
solid..
Good idea on making several.. There's probably a market here with all the
ironwood carvings that the locals sell..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing