Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Christmas-tree lights problem

Jim Beaver wrote:
I've got my Christmas tree set up in my living room. A couple of
strings of lights (not those mini-lights, but the finger-tip size
bulbs). Here's the problem:

When I turn on the lights, a loud hum arises from the timer for my
yard sprinklers. This timer is mounted on the outside wall of the
living room. Obviously it's on the same circuit, as the hum comes and
goes when the Christmas tree lights are turned on or off.

The hum is loud. Probably loud enough indoors to wake a light
sleeper from a nap if it suddenly came on. It's even louder, of
course, outdoors near the timer.

The power cords, plugs, and receptacles all seem cool. So I'm
wondering: does this sound like an overloading problem, or more
likely some sort of simple harmonic vibration? Am I in danger of
fire, if everything I can get to seems cool?

I don't know anything much about electrical testing or I'd use a
tester on it somehow. But I don't really know what to look for.

Anyone NOT doing something more interesting on Christmas Eve who
wants to advise me here?

And with that in mind, happy holidays to all here. Thanks.

Jim Beaver

Extension cord to a different circuit.