Posted to misc.consumers.house
tim tim is offline

Default How to remove smoke odor from house

Tony wrote in
news
I wound up putting pots of vinegar all over the house, opened
all the doors and windows (shut off the oild burner), on a
beautiful 40 degree windy day. I then washed every piece of the
kitchen (cabinets, under and over, inside, counter top, dining
room table, chairs, mopped the floor, walls and ceiling. Did all
the same stuff in the living room. Well, the kitchen still
smells like burnt plastic. I do notice a lot of the smell coming
from the space saving microwave that is just over the stove
where the burnt plastic melted. I am going to have to throw that
microwave out and buy a new one. The vinegar did nothing in
this case. It just made the house smell like vinegar.

Tony

Before you pitch the microwave, take it down and clean the outside
of it and the area it was mounted to throughly. Does your
microwave have an exhaust hood setup beneath it? If it does, clean
or replace the filter and wipe down the rest of the hood area very
well.

If you feel up to it, take the micro outside, take the cover off
(its best to let it sit unplugged for a day or two so the charge on
the big caps goes away), and vacuum out all the dust and dirt
inside you can get at. Then take a can of compressed air and blow
out everything you can see. If there is a greasy film over
everything get a can of TV Tuner cleaner and spray it all over.
Act like you are washing down the insides so you work any gunk to
the outside of the unit. By now you should be able to tell if
there is any odor left in the unit.

Do you have any porous countertops? They may have absorbed some of
the smoke and would need a very thorough cleaning as well.

Lastly, get a couple of those lava rock bags that they sell to
abosrb odors and spread them around where the odor seems to be
strongest.

If none of this works and the odor is in the kitchen, you will be
stuck with putting a clear sealer finish on the cabinets or
refinishing/refacing them. Again, good luck