Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default gas fireplace won't start-up - pilot is lit

On Dec 24, 6:34*pm, wrote:
Hello all -

first post on this forum, so please excuse any newbie errors...

I have a gas fireplace at home that I haven't used in a couple of
years. *I had turned the pilot off after I used it last. *I tried to
start it back up yesterday, and the pilot started right up. *I have a
wall switch that controls the gas flow and turns the fireplace on.
When I try to flip the switch to turn the fireplace on, it does
nothing 9 times out of 10. *Occassionally the flames will come and
stay lit for a couple of minutes before going out again, and then
nothing. *I don't smell any gas when the fireplace switch is on but
the flame isn't present. *Not sure where to look to try and debug this
issue... any helpful pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Merry Christmas!

Does it have a thermocouple on the pilot a maybe 2" round metal piece
with a wire on it going to a gas valve, that might be bad I used a
propane torch to heat one up once, its probably a standard item even
some place like Sears might have for cheap. But I am guessing and dont
know if what I recomend is safe.