Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Reply: Drilling a heap of 25mm / 1" holes in sheet metal

On 2008-12-24, Ned Simmons wrote:
On 24 Dec 2008 02:10:37 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2008-12-23, Ned Simmons wrote:
On 23 Dec 2008 03:04:41 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

I've never had a slug-buster (slug-splitter the same?) -- they
came out after I got my punches, but it would be nice to have that
feature.

Slug-busters and slug-splitters are different products. They both cut
the punched out slug in half so it doesn't get jammed around the draw
stud, and they look very similar. I'm not sure why the slug-splitters
will handle heavier material. Perhaps it's the material they're made
of. Slug-splitters are only for use with hydraulic or mechanical
pullers, not a wrench on the draw stud.

Slug-busters have been around for at least 25 years, slug-splitters
are a more recent introduction.

Well ... I got my first chassis punch back around 1958 or so.
By 25 years ago, I had all the sizes that I needed, and didn't have
money to play the game of replacing them just for a new feature. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564