Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeroni Paul Jeroni Paul is offline

Default OT Trying to copy a VHS tape in NTSC format (UK)

On 21 dic, 11:51, (Graz) wrote:
I need to copy a PAL-VHS tape in NTSC format for someone in the US. *I
have a Sony VCR which can read tapes in NTSC format and I want to dub
this tape from a second VCR. *My first attempt produced a tape which
can be played whether the Sony is in NTSC mode or PAL mode. *Have I
succeeded or am I wasting my time? *

I appreciate this is off topic here; perhaps someone could point me to
a more appropriate newsgroup if there is no simple answer?

I've done that with a PC (you don't need latest technology, a PC from
2000 onwards may do). You need a TV capture card compatible with the
standard you have in your VHS tape. I have an Easy TV that can capture
both PAL and NTSC color video. Then a video card with TV output that
can output the standard you want to record. I have an ATI Radeon card
that can output both PAL and NTSC.

Plug the video to the capture card composite video input and view the
signal full screen. Then on the TV card video output you have the
signal converted Of course you need a VCR capable to record NTSC in
colour (which may be the hard part to get). It may be easier to
capture the video in an AVI file and burn it in a DVD.