Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tempering tank for hot water system

On Dec 24, 11:53*am, ransley wrote:
On Dec 24, 9:08*am, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

It should be set to at least 140 regardless of your paranoia level. *You
can't wash dishes properly at any less.

wrote in message

On Dec 23, 9:41 pm, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

well even IF all this is actually true, i guess i don't have to worry..
1. I don't have electric in my own house
2. I always set them at at least 140 degrees.

That's what I was wondering too. * In other words, what does this have
to do with a tempering tank? * If it takes 140 deg to make hot water
legionaire free, then just set the electric water heater to 140 deg
whether you use a tempering tank or not.

"Rick-Meister" wrote in message

.. .

I love it. Someone points out a scientific study and the messenger
gets accused of being paranoid. This is a serious problem and there
have been at least two dozens of studies on it all over the world. It
affects about 1/3 of all residential electric water heaters. It's
written up on the Centers for Disease Control and the World Health
Organization websites. It kills people--literally. So maybe you should
think twice about mocking those who bring up a serious potential
health problem.

You can disagree all you want about the heating elements, but what I
stated wasn't opinion, it's fact. The scientific studies show that the
water at the very bottom of the tank can be almost 20 degrees cooler
than water near the lower thermostat. So your opinion is really
irrelevant to this discussion.

The fact that you've never heard of this before is also irrelevant.

Water heater manufacturers recommend setting the T-stats at 130-140
degrees. That's much higher than in years past--before they discovered
the Legionella bacteria. The higher temps set up a potential for
scalding. The scalding issue is why plumbing codes now require mixing
valves in the shower. Some local communities require mixing valves at
EVERY faucet.

If this was no big deal, there would be no need for the higher temps
and no need for anti-scald valves. You could set your water heater at
104 degrees, which is plenty hot for a shower.- Hide quoted text -

Clean dishes, legionares, aids, syphlis, Nile fever, paranoia. I heat
water in my place and apartments only as hot as needed to take a good
shower. It saves money and nobody gets sick or complains. My next gas
bills might be near 4000.00 I pay to much already to waste money on
heating water more, which literaly is $ down the drain. Dishes are
clean for less $ and Ng is saved. 140f is harder on pipes than 120,
scale builds much quicker, leaks occur more often, valves dont last as
long, water heaters last longer.- Hide quoted text -

to the OP re the tempering tank...
in the winter, the energy used to warm the water will be taken from
the heat that would have heated the basmeent, if you have excess, then
fine go for it...

but what i really wanted to asay is in any case please be sure to
include temperature pressure relief valves both on the tempering
tank and the main tank especially if you are setting up your valves to
be able to bypass one or the other.

The last thing you EVER want is a sealed tank with water and a source
of heat..

Mark