Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default OT Trying to copy a VHS tape in NTSC format (UK)

Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Michael A.
Terrell writes

You should see what it does to solid aluminum jacketed coax during a
sudden temperature drop. The shield can shrink three inches in a 500
foot run, and either pull the jacket out of the connector, or rip the
aluminum. It is called a suckout in CATV slang.

In the USA, where it is common practice to strap the coax outdoors on a
messenger wire stretched between the utility poles, the coax can indeed
undergo horrendous changes of temperature (both on a daily and a
seasonal basis). To allow for the physical expansion and contraction
which occurs, it is pretty well mandatory to have an expansion loop near
each pole. This prevents the cable being wrenched out of the connectors
at low temperatures. While the line guys may call this a 'suckout', a
suckout normally refers to an unexpected notch in the frequency
spectrum. Of course, this might be a direct result of the jacket having
been partially or completely pulled out, leaving the inner as the only
connection.

It happens to buried cable, as well. I've had crews out on Christmas
day, after a 70 degree drop in under 12 hours. My workers had to use
propane torches to thaw their hands while digging through frozen dirt &
rock to make repairs.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.